Slips, trips and falls even on level walking surfaces can be serious risks for injury. In 2011, nearly 135,000 nonfatal same level falls occurred in private industry alone, according to the 2014 edition of the National Safety Council “Injury Facts.”
Slip and fall accidents often result from poorly maintained property. Poor lighting conditions can contribute to the failure to see and avoid these hazards.
If you own property remove fall hazards by:
• Cleaning up spills as soon as you know about them.
• Mark spills with warning signs until they can be cleaned up.
• Eliminate activities that increase the risk of spillage.
• Keep walking surfaces free of debris.
• Remove obstacles from walkways.
• Secure mats and carpets with tape to ensure they remain flat.
• Close cabinets or drawers when not in use.
• Maintain in good working condition all artificial sources of illumination.
• Replace burned-out light bulbs and faulty switches.
• Reset timing devices on artificial lighting when the seasons change.
To reduce the risks of slips, trips and falls, when walking we advise everyone to:
• Pay attention when walking, and do not rush.
• Do not text or perform internet searches which distract you from paying attention to your surroundings.
• If you enter a room with little or no lighting, use illumination from your cell phone or a flashlight.
If you or a family member have been seriously injured in a fall due to a dangerous condition on someone else’s premises, that person has a duty to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition and to warn of hazards on the property that are not obvious to you. We accept slip and fall injury cases. We charge no fees or costs unless we are able to obtain a recovery for you. Contact us today at 561-682-9060 to speak to find if we can help you as a result of a slip and fall accident or visit our website at palmbeachcountyinjuryattorney.com for further information about the firm and our services.